Lorna Rose Treen has been crowned the winner of Edinburgh Fringe’s best joke award after coming up with a pun about a zookeeper. She is the first woman to win the award since 2008.
For those who don’t know, Edinburgh Fringe is a comedy festival where you can see everything from live stand-up performances to one-man shows. It’s a way for many creatives to try to get their name out there, with a focus on comedy and jokes.
Treen managed to beat some other great one-liners with her pun, which goes like this: “I started dating a zookeeper, but it turned out he was a cheetah.” Me am sure the delivery made it much funnier, but as it stands, I couldn’t see that this was the show’s best joke. That’s probably why I’m not a comedy critic.
The other top ten jokes and the comedians behind them are as follows:
- The most British thing I’ve ever heard? A lady who said, “I’m sorry, but I don’t apologize. – Liz Guterbock
- Last year I had a great joke about inflation. But it’s barely worth it now – Amos Gill
- When women gossip we’re called bitchy; but when men do it it’s called a podcast – Sikisa
- I thought I’d start with a joke about The Titanic – just to break the ice – Masai Graham
- How do celiac Germans greet each other? Gluten label – Frank Lavender
- My friend was locked in a coffee shop at night. Now he only goes to Starbucks, not rivals. He’s Costa-phobic – Roger Swift
- I entered the ‘How not to surrender’ contest and I won without a doubt – Bennett Arron
- Nationwide must have looked pretty stupid when they opened their first branch – William Stone
- My grandmother describes herself as being in her “twilight years” which I love because they are great movies – Daniel Foxx