In recent years, people’s appetite for a return to nature and simple things has increased. Perhaps this is why the demand for natural products, as well as for natural plant products, has increased a lot. However, we must be careful with plants because they can be one of the most poisonous in the world.
The most poisonous plants in the world to keep away from
Some plants do not only bring benefits, many of which do not bring anything good. The only thing that causes them are toxic reactions, some even to death. Find out which are the most poisonous plants in the world and where they are found.
Blue Tribute (Aconitum napellus)
The blue homage is a perennial plant that can exceed one meter in height. Although it has extremely beautiful flowers, and on some sites you can even find it as a homeopathic recommendation in various diseases, biologists point out that it is deadly. In ancient times, the plant, which was rich in lethal neurotoxins and cardiotoxins, was pressed and the arrows used to kill animals were soaked in the mixture obtained. Ingestion almost instantly causes vomiting, diarrhea and numbness all over the body, and in half an hour it causes death.
Ricinus (Ricinus communis)
The much better known castor is a perennial plant cultivated mainly for its oil extract. Originally from Africa, castor oil is now grown in the tropical and subtropical areas of the two hemispheres. If ingested, its seeds can lead to severe poisoning. The first symptoms of castor poisoning are: abdominal pain, nausea followed by vomiting with blood, diarrhea, increased heart rate and decreased blood pressure. This is followed by bleeding, convulsions, kidney blockage and circulatory failure, followed by death in about 36-72 hours after ingestion.
Plague is a perennial, wild plant that grows especially in lowland areas and can reach 2 meters in height. With large, white and beautiful flowers, however, the plant is extremely dangerous. Any part of it contains atropine, scopolamine and hyoscyamine, so if ingested, it causes palpitations, hallucinations, delirium, convulsions and can put people in a coma. In some cases, even death has occurred, with doctors failing to stabilize patients.
The nightshade is also a perennial plant and can exceed one meter in height. It blooms in summer, and its fruits are black, shiny, and can easily fool people, especially children, who may be tempted to eat them. Unfortunately, these, as well as the stem, leaves or root, are extremely toxic, even deadly. The first signs of intoxication are dilated pupils, blurred vision, excessive sensitivity to light, followed by seizures. The only creatures that are not affected by the nightingale are rabbits, horses, goats and birds.
The hemlock is a poisonous herbaceous plant with large, striped leaves, small white flowers and green fruits. Its root can be confused with parsnip root, and such a mistake can be fatal. The plant contains a substance called cicutoxin, which causes nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps and violent seizures. If doctors manage to return in time, the person intoxicated by hemlock may survive, but will remain in serious health conditions and are at risk for amnesia. In ancient times, people sentenced to death received a stew from its fruit or root. The Greek philosopher Socrates, convicted of murder for refusing to recognize the gods of the city, had such an end.
Leander (Nerium oleander)
We all sighed romantically as we strolled through the Greek streets lined with rich leanders, full of extremely beautiful flowers. As beautiful as they are, they are just as dangerous as the leaves on the tree. A single leaf can kill a child in just a few hours, its toxins immediately attacking the heart. The first symptoms of such intoxication are vomiting, extremely severe abdominal pain, dizziness and drowsiness. Leander juice is used in the preparation of poisons for mice.
Tisa (Taxus baccata)
The 9-meter-tall tree is found throughout most of Europe, especially in the United Kingdom, northern Iran, and northwestern Africa. In Romania it is considered an endangered species, therefore it is protected by law. All parts of the tree are dangerous, but the leaves are much more toxic in winter and with the lowest degree of toxicity in summer. One of the substances in yew leaves, taxis, was once used as a poison. The first signs of toxiinfection are dizziness, weakness and dilated pupils.
Green cranberry (Hippomane mancinella)
Nicknamed the tree of death, the cranberry is a tree up to 25 meters tall that grows in Central America and the Caribbean. Its fruits are extremely enticing, resembling small, green apples and giving off an appealing scent. However, their consumption leads to death in just a few hours, even if only one mouthful of the fruit has been taken. The white sap that remains after breaking a leaf can cause severe burns or allergic reactions to the skin. Even the rain that falls between its branches can cause burns, and the smoke caused by the burning of its wood is also extremely toxic.
Cross of the Earth (Heracleum mantegazzianum)
The cross of the earth is a perennial herbaceous plant native to the Caucasus, but can be found everywhere in Europe and the United States. It contains a toxic sap that causes third-degree sunburn, irritation, blisters and even blindness. Any contact with this plant should be avoided because even a simple touch of the skin can cause serious problems. Since August 2017, the earth cross has been on the European Union’s list of invasive species, and US researchers have also issued numerous warnings due to its extreme spread in Virginia.