The I.D.E.A.L. (Ideas / Development / Evolution / Skills / Local) international gastronomy conference is in its second edition, after a few very difficult years for the HoReCa industry in Romania. Born in 2019, this might be the most important meeting for people working in hospitality, but also for passionate, curious and people who want to learn.
I.D.E.A.L. Evolution Sibiu was born in 2019, as a project aimed at building international gastronomic partnerships, facilitating interaction with talented chefs from abroad and encouraging best practices in the hospitality industry in the Moritic lands. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, the second edition will not take place until 2022, just a few days from now. The event is scheduled for 21 November at the Gong Theatre in Sibiu. This year’s theme is How Can I help? (How can I help?)
Second edition of the I.D.E.A.L. conference – 21 November 2022 at the Gong Theatre, Sibiu
The I.D.E.A.L. conference is the brainchild of Petra Hianu and Paul Moinea, two young people who have travelled the world’s top kitchens before becoming co-owners of Plai in Sibiu, one of the best restaurants in Romania, described as “a benchmark for modern Romanian cuisine” by Restograf.
As for the 2022 edition of the conference, its theme is “How can I help?” (How Can I Help?) and brings together both big names in gastronomy from overseas and countries as well as some of the best chefs in Romania. The list includes:
- Arlene Stein , founder of Canada’s Terroir project and promoter of international gastro-diplomacy
- JP McMahon, 1 Michelin-starred chef, owner of ANIAR restaurant in Galway and founder of the Food on the Edge gastronomic symposium. For reference, Food on the Edge brings together around 400 participants from around the world each year, and 50 world-class speakers from the gastronomic industry.
- Douglas McMaster, Silo, London. Douglas is the chef who, at the age of 26, created the world’s first zero-waste restaurant. Two years after opening, Silo, took the Britain`s Most Ethical Restaurant award.
- Denis Lovatel, is one of the world’s most famous pizzaiolos, nicknamed “pizzaiolo di Montagna” (mountain pizza maker). He uses herbs and plants from the wild flora of the Dolomites and recently opened his own restaurant in Milan, called “Denis-Pizza di Montagna”. He has won numerous international awards and prizes, and is an example of best practice for pizza makers around the world.
- Istav Veres, 1 Michelin star chef, who was in charge of Babel Budapest, where he also enjoyed the precious distinction.
- Mihai Pantiru, founder of the Association of the Knights of the Leaning Tower in Russi and coordinator of the Slimnic – European Youth Village programme,
- Alex Petricean – chef-owner of NOUA Bucătărie Românească – received the distinction of the best chef in Romania at the Romanian Hospitality Awards 2022
- Mihai Toader – co-owner and chef at Soro Lume, where, together with Melinda Teohari, he won Start Up of the Year at the Horeca Women Awards 2022 and 2nd place – Best Opening at the Romanian Hospitality Awards 2022
The full conference programme can be seen below, and those interested can purchase tickets from the back of this link. More details about the conference and the whole I.D.E.A.L. project can be found on idealevolution.ro.