gamescom 2023 is scheduled for a record-breaking five-day run in August, with more exhibitors from 60 different countries spread across an even larger show floor than last year’s awe-inspiring extravaganza.
Moreover, gamescom organizers can confirm today that the 2023 event will play host to 33 country pavilions, accounting for 26 different countries. As such, gross exhibition space will increase by 10,000 square meters compared to 2022, to a total of 230,000 square meters – a new record for gamescom. Similarly, the 60 different states represented are up from 53 last year.
gamescom can also confirm that publishers and developers are keenly interested in what is going to be a spectacular Opening Night Live – hosted by Geoff Keighley – while IGN has once again signed on to produce gamescom Studio, the event’s official livestream featuring the best gameplay, demos and news , interviews and game releases straight from the show floor.
“Last year, thanks to the unique community and strong support from many game companies, gamescom celebrated a great comeback,” said Tim Endres, director of gamescom at Koelnmesse. “This year we are taking it a step further in several ways, as gamescom grows in several areas.I am especially pleased that we are getting so much support from the industry and that major companies that were absent in previous years are participating this year.
“But the fact that our continued opening up to related industries, such as streaming, is bearing fruit shows the great appeal of gamescom. Ultimately, our significance as the world’s premier gaming event is evidenced not only by being more international than in 2022, but even before the pandemic! Like our community, I can’t wait for Gamescom 2023 to begin.”
In recent weeks, several companies have announced their presence at gamescom 2023, including: 9GAG, Aerosoft, Amazon Games, Amazon Prime, AMD, Assemble Entertainment, astragon Entertainment, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, Bethesda Softworks, Crunchyroll, Devolver Digital, ESL FACEIT Group, Focus Entertainment, Frontier Developments, GIANTS Software, Headup Games, Hoyoverse, The LEGO Group, Level Infinite, MINI, Netflix, Nexon, Nintendo, Pearl Abyss, PLAION, Raw Fury, Rocket Beans TV, Samsung, SEGA, Star Wars Ashoka (Disney+), Team17, TikTok, Ubisoft and Xbox. Numerous other companies will be announced at a later date.
“Games are an international phenomenon: around 3 billion people worldwide play across borders,” adds Felix Falk, Managing Director of game – the German Games Industry Association. “For this international community, gamescom is the highlight. Especially in such a global industry like ours, central events are needed where the community and the industry come together. Games are celebrated together and the great importance of the games industry becomes clear to everyone. The positive development of exhibitors and the increased internationality show how important gamescom is in this respect Millions of people around the world are already looking forward to the end of August when gamescom opens its doors again – on-site in Cologne and digitally worldwide.”
gamescom 2023 in facts and figures:
- gamescom 2022 had already occupied almost the entire Koelnmesse grounds, and in 2023 the event will be even larger in terms of space.
- The growth to a total of 230,000 square meters is due in part to the addition of Hall 1, where this year’s “social area” with Creator Co-Working Space and signing space will be located.
- The entertainment area and indie area are also expanding. Details on hall occupancy can be found in the official hall plan at b2b.gamescom.global
- Greater internationality: this becomes especially evident when compared to the last event before the COVID-19 pandemic, gamescom 2019: while exhibitors from 48 countries with a foreign share of 70% were represented at that time, exhibitors from 60 countries with a foreign share of 78% are participating in gamescom 2023.
- Furthermore, 33 country pavilions from 26 countries have registered for gamescom 2023, compared to 27 booths from 25 countries in 2022.
- The annually changing partner country also contributes to the internationality of gamescom. The official partner country of gamescom 2023, Brazil, will bring nearly 50 Brazilian companies to the event – the largest Brazilian presence since gamescom began.
- The grand opening show, gamescom: Opening Night Live, is once again produced in collaboration with Geoff Keighley and, as in previous years, has already attracted much interest from many gaming companies.
- The gamescom studio, which reports daily on the events of the event and broadcasts them digitally worldwide, will also be produced in 2023 in collaboration with the renowned media company IGN.