The Ministry of Health has formalized the contract for the implementation of 10 proton therapy equipment. in the National Health System (SNS), financed by the Amancio Ortega Gaona Foundation. Catalonia will receive two of this equipment, which will be located in the Parc Sanitari Pere Virgili in Barcelona.
The equipment will be installed in seven autonomous communities. (Basque Country, Catalonia, Galicia, Andalusia, Valencia, Canary Islands and Madrid). and, according to the Ministry, these will put Spain at the vanguard of this type of technology throughout Europe.
The proton therapy is a special modality of radiotherapy which uses protons instead of X-rays or electrons, which allows for a more localized release of radiation, which results in better dose distribution and less irradiation of the surrounding healthy tissue. This modality is of particular relevance in the long survivors, especially in children.
Health, in collaboration with the communities, has elaborated the specifications and tendered the equipment, which have been awarded in their entirety to Ion Beam Applications SA, for 263,538,000 euros.
The agreement was signed just over a year ago, on October 19, 2021, and provides for the installation of 10 proton therapy equipment, financed by the foundation, which will provide a response to the treatment needs throughout the National Health System. The teams will be distributed as follows:
– One team in the Basque Country, located in the Donostia Hospital Complex, with direct connection to the Onkologikoa facilities.
– Two teams in Catalonia, located at the Parc Sanitari Pere Virgili in Barcelona.
– A team in Galicia, in the former Gil Casares Hospital next to the Hospital Clínico Universitario de Santiago de Compostela.
– Two teams in Andalusia: one at the former Military Hospital of Seville and the other at the Maternity Hospital of Malaga.
– A team in the Comunitat Valenciana, at the Hospital Universitario de la Fe in Valencia.
– A team in Canary Islands, at the University Hospital of Gran Canaria Dr. Negrín.
– Two teams in the Community of Madrid: one at Hospital La Paz and the second at Hospital de Fuenlabrada.