Super Mario RPG is the Nintendo Switch remake of a lost old-school gem that captivated us with its 1990s style and beautiful graphics. It may be a little easy, but some of the secrets are hidden just like old times. Want to find all those floating chests? Read on in our guide to get your hands on them all and satisfy the completionist in you.
The Hidden Chests are a nod to the classic Super Mario Bros. hidden blocks, the kind that only appear when you jump in the right spot. Here, they are chests and always have a juicy prize, so it’s worth finding as many as possible along the way.
- Tip for finding hidden chests during your quest: When you jump the Signal Ring gets (see below how to get it), if it is equipped with one of your group members (even if they are reserves), it will alert you to the existence of Hidden Treasure in the current area by emphatically saying, “There is a hidden treasure nearby” You can jump all over the stage to try to find it, Look for suspicious mechanisms or inaccessible places or consult this guide if there is no way or if you miss a specific one.
Finally, before I tell you where all the hidden treasures are, you should know that there are a total of 39 in the entire Super Mario RPG game. If you want to know how many you are missing, you can talk to the Pleaseno in the first house in Monstro Town, on the second floor. It will tell you that “you still need to find XX more, just so you know”.
Where are all the hidden chests in Super Mario RPG?
Follow the images and descriptions. The captions are displayed with this legend:
Area of map | Specific location | Object to be handed over
1. Mushroom Kingdom region | Mushroom Castle | Flower
In the item store, Mrs. Toad in the basement will teach you some of the tricks in this guide. This should be your first secret chest in the game, and it also hides the warning ring! This makes it all easier but also logical, as you will see.
2. Mushroom Kingdom region | Mushroom Castle | Flower
But the second one is right next door. It turns out that you can climb on the heads of the Toads: try to jump into the corner.
3. Mushroom Kingdom region | Mushroom Castle | Frog Mint
If you’re not careful, it could cost you a lot of time because this castle is infested with enemies later in the game. Use what you have learned by climbing on the Toads to reach the ledge above the door to the throne room. You can do this at the beginning and later in the game.
4. Mushroom Kingdom region | The way of bandit | Kerokero Cola
You have to jump between the pink spinning flower and the purple one, as if to jump from one to the other. The chest is at the top, to the right of the first one.
5. Frog Pond Region | Took City | Frog Coin
They don’t call them object stores for nothing; In this beautiful village, they also hide a secret chest. If you sneak into the back room and climb to the top of the shelves, you will easily find the treasure.
6. Frog Pond Region | Took City | Frog Coin
You’re already an expert at climbing on heads. That’s what you need to do to reach the last house in the village, where you activate the stairs. Before you go, enjoy jumping on the bed …
7. Tadpole Region | Forest Maze | Frog Mint
As soon as you leave Rose Town, you will hear a beep for the Signal Ring. The Hidden Chest is on the left, in the small clearing.
8. Tadpole Region | Forest Maze | Frog Mint
When you come out of the first stump after jumping on a springboard in the first underground area, to the left of the log.
9. Tadpole Region | Forest Maze | Kerokero Cola
Seven stumps from which Wigglers emerge with their own underground chambers, forming a large window. In the stump in the left corner you will find the chest at the bottom.
10. Tadpole Region | Forest Maze | Flower
On the stump of the right corner, between Buzzers and Amanitas, the secret chest awaits you in the southern area.
11. Tadpole Region | Forest Maze | Nothing!
On the second stump on the left, in the corner before the trampoline.
12. Tadpole Region | Forest Maze | Red Essence
This hidden chest is one of the most difficult in the game for several reasons. First, it is located in a fairly large area, starting with the path from the “lost forest” intersection, with a storage point, and ending with an area of stumps that you cannot get into. As an added problem, if you get out on the other side, you go to the map and have to redo the maze if you haven’t saved. Moreover, it’s the only location in the entire remake that has changed from the original game, so it’s not worth what you remember from back then or the classic guides you’re looking at. Look at the picture, because like the first chest in the maze, the hidden treasure on the left awaits you as soon as you enter. The price is worth it: the red essence gives a character invincibility for three turns, ideal for enemies like Culex or enemies that come later in the post-game.
13. Tadpole Region | Pipe Vault | Frog Mint
You’ll go unnoticed if you try to avoid the piranha plants at all costs, but in that row of six pipes, in another nod to SMB, you can sneak through the second one. As you go down, you’ll see a raised walkway that you apparently can’t reach. Jump just before the first tile and a yellow elevator platform will appear. Once in the high corridor, when you jump from the second tile, the chest appears. But wait, your ring is still ringing!
14. Tadpole Region | Pipe Vault | Frog Mint
If you continue to the end of the raised walkway you will see a chest that is not hidden at all. Well, between that and the previous one is the one you’re missing with another green coin. Speaking of which…
- Trick: How do I get the Frog coin under the bottom block? Or in other words, how do I squat in Super Mario RPG? In the original SNES game, Legend of the Seven Stars, you could run around the world by pressing the Y button, but in Switch, the buttons retain their combat commands (A-action, B-jump, Y special techniques, X items). So? Actually, Mario runs by default and you can press L or R to run (you can also reverse this in the options). So try running down the bottom corridor anyway, using the analog stick, without pressing any buttons, and crouch (press down) just as you reach the opening. There you go, the old trick!
15. Yo’ster Isle region | Yo’ster Island | Frog Coin
Stand still! We know you’re looking forward to seeing the Yoshi’s and Boshi’s chops, but before you go down just outside the pipe, next to the storage block, there’s another hidden treasure.
16. Moleville Region | Booster Pass | Flower
It’s not just about getting on Toad’s big heads. Go all the way left on the map as soon as you enter, above the cave entrance, and jump on that cauliflower thing to jump to the boot.
17. Moleville Region | Booster Pass | Candy from the Rock
This one is hard to find. Go to the left corner before leaving the first area of the map. Look at the screenshot.
18. Region Moleville | Booster Pass | Frog Coin
Welcome to the luxurious and extravagant premises of a somewhat manic gentleman who looks like Wario and loves toys, especially trains. If you’re not thrown off guard by his ever-shimmering chess tiles, the first crate is easy enough, as you begin to climb up and an endless line of Snifits comes at you.
19. Moleville Region | Booster Tower | Frog Coin
I didn’t see this one! Of course, it’s a matter of perspective. Look carefully at the picture and go to the end to find the treasure.
20. Moleville Region | Booster Tower | Goody Bag
One of the most challenging and rewarding chests. As you climb the yellow platforms, did it ever occur to you that you could climb to the chest already visible and make another jump?
21. Moleville Region | Booster Tower | Mushroom
This one is easy. In the same room as the previous chest, next to the first yellow bolted platform, in the corner of the room.
22. Moleville Region | Wedding | Frog Mint
Well, they wouldn’t all be item stores. If you rest at the inn, you can climb on the furniture afterwards to pick up another green coin.
23. Star Hill region | Sunken ship | Flower
One of the best hidden chests in the entire game, it’s a bit like the third one on our list: if you don’t get it the first time, you have to wait until you complete the area before you can try again. You enter a room where Mario sees a clone of himself, like the famous Spider-Man meme. The temptation is to run toward A to “talk,” or in other words, fight, but if you beat him…. You can no longer use him as a platform to reach the hidden chest as shown in the image. Cool!
24. Land’s End region | The End of the Land | Flower
This is one of the hardest, if not the hardest hidden chest in the entire game. As soon as you enter you will see your first cannon and your first yellow platform. You will see that it is slightly to the right of the hole. If you shoot to the high rock, you can climb to the platform and from there you have to jump. Note that you don’t just jump vertically when the elevator is at the top, but by pushing the stick up, as if to climb the rock from there.
25. Land’s End region | The End of the Land | Flower
This one is similar to the previous one, but the trick is that the platform is as hidden as the chest. You have to make it appear as you climb out of the hole you fall into, but you are usually attacked by up to three nibblers. Once the platform is activated, you can shoot yourself back up and climb the rock to reach the treasure.
26. Land’s End region | The End of the Land | Frog Coin
When you finish the climb you’ll come to a flowery meadow that leads to the big suspension bridge to the Great Cliff and desert in front of Bean Valley, the Sky Bridge. Well, don’t go up. Jump to the right of the stairs between the two lilacs to reveal one of the chests.
27. Land’s End region | The End of the Land | Frog Coin
The second chest is very, very hidden. Instead of climbing to the Sky Bridge, notice that it has a dark cave-like hole under the rock pillar. If you jump next to it, a retro-magic will suck you into a cave. When you reach the highest corner, you will find your chest.
28. Land’s End region | Land’s End (Belome temple) | Frog Coin
This type of pyramid hides its first chest on top of another highly visible chest that you can reach from a ledge. Wait a minute, is the ring still ringing?
29. Land’s End region | Land’s End (Belome temple) | Frog Coin
Yes it is. The second one is in the same room, in the corner of the golden brick wall.
30. Land’s End region | The City of Monstro | Flower
One of the least hidden treasures in the game, it awaits you in the last room of the city before you leave it, between the bush and the corner.
31. Land’s End region | The Valley of the Bean | Candy of the Rock
This autumnal location, which could very well have inspired Mario Kart’s Maple Path or Forza Motorsport’s Maple Valley, hides a single chest in the open air as you take the first pipe on the right and then approach the bushes on the left.
32. Land’s End region | The Valley of the Bean | Kerokero Cola
Once inside one of the pipes with watered piranha plants, find the treasure at the end of the room.
33. Land’s End region | The Valley of the Bean | Red Essence
In another underground room, between the trampoline and the yellow stairs. Be careful, it is an invincibility potion, keep it safe.
34. Land Region Nimbus | The Land of Nimbus | Frog Mint
What did we say about object stores? Well, you know. Climb into the boxes in the store and you’ll get another green coin at the top.
35. Land region Nimbus | Nimbus Land (Castle) | Frog Coin
When you reach the three doors on the same wall, next to the birdcage on the left.
36. Land region Nimbus | Nimbus Land (Castle) | Frog Coin
By now you figured it out when you saw the chest from below. Once you took care of the amorous Birdo, jump from the top level to the treasure you saw from the bottom level.
37. Land region Nimbus | Nimbus Land (Castle) | Frog Coin
As you descend the stairs from the left door of the three doors we talked about earlier. It’s on the penultimate tile.
38. Nimbus Land region | Nimbus Land (Castle) | Frog Coin
The most retro hidden chest in the entire game is a bit easier in the remake because you can see a hole to get out of the level. It’s funny, but it’s not the same. Dive into nothingness and jump to grab another green coin.
39. Bowser’s Keep-region | Weapon World (Gate) | Mushroom
You can feel it, you can feel it, Smithy is in the air. When you get to this storage point, you’ll easily find the last hidden chest in the game, with one measly mushroom – you got them all! And no, you don’t get anything special 🙁