For us, the consumers of online movies and series, the fact that Netflix and HBO Max are currently in constant competition can only be a good thing. The competition has always resulted in an increase in product quality, but perhaps a decrease in the price of the subscription, in some cases.
Since its inception, HBO Max has struggled to match, if not dethrone, the “absolute king” of streaming, Netflix. Obviously, this is extremely difficult, if not impossible, now. We can certainly say that HBO Max will need at least two years to climb to the top, above Netflix, in case the miracle happens.
So, let’s see what are the most important titles this year on HBO Max and Netflix, and then we can draw a conclusion.
The most important movies to be released on HBO Max
- “Reminiscence”: August 20 – a psychological thriller starring Hugh Jackman;
- “Malignant”: September 10 – a horror-thrilller “brand” James Wan;
- “Cry Machoc”: September 17 – Clint Eastwood’s new film, which everyone is already talking about;
- “The Many Saints of Newark”: October 1 – we are supposed to be talking about a sequel to the famous series, “The Soprano Clan” – it remains to be seen if this will be the case;
- “Dune”: October 22 – a film that needs no introduction, being also nominated for the 2022 Oscars;
- “King Richard”: November 19 – Will Smith, the father of the famous tennis players Venus and Serena Williams;
- “The Matrix: Resurrections”: December 22 – Keanu Reeves’ near-success or the movie we’ve all been waiting for, but once it came out, we couldn’t wait to see it through.
The most important movies and series on Netflix in 2022
- “The Guardians of Justice”;
- “The Weekend Away”;
- “He Adam Project”;
- “Rescued By Ruby”;
- “Brigerton” – the second season;
- “Anatomy of a Scandal”;
- “Senior Year”.
Certainly, at first glance, HBO Max seems to be winning this fight. But if we take into account the fact that their respective films (at least some of them) could be seen in the cinema, we notice that the element of surprise is completely missing, so they could lose in the rating chapter.